Stories can be used to achieve higher levels of thinking in these ways:
· Knowledge : students arrange characters and events in the story.
· Comprehension : they classify events, describe characters, and explain precisely what has occurred.
· Application : they apply existing knowledge to the story by illustrating, dramatizing and writing their interpretations.
· Analysis : students analyze, categorize, and differentiate characters and events.
· Synthesis : they collect and organize facts to form hypotheses.
· Evaluation : they appraise, argue, assess, and evaluate their opinions in the process.
STEPS FOR READING COMPREHENSION
1. Start with 2 or 3 global readings.
2. Then, underline all the transparent words you can find in the text.
3. After that, start reading looking for words that avoid your comprehension of a sentence/ paragraph. Look for that word in the dictionary and start your vocabulary.
4. Once you have all this, start with global readings again.
5. Finally, you will understand what you are reading about.
WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT TRANSLATION, IT´S COMPREHENSION.