sábado, 6 de septiembre de 2014

Restaurant vocabulary and structures.

Ordering Food in a Restaurant

One of the most important tasks in English is ordering food when you go to a restaurant. There are basic forms and questions, as well food vocabulary that you can use in places where people speak English. In general, use the form "I'd like ..." when ordering food in a restaurant. A common question for someone taking an order is "What would you like for ...". Here's a short example:
Wait person: What would you like to drink?
Customer: I'd like a cup of coffee.
Take a look at this Menu
Starters

Chicken Soup
$2.50
Salad
$3.25
Sandwiches - Main Course

Ham and cheese
$3.50
Tuna
$3.00
Vegetarian
$4.00
Grilled Cheese
$2.50
Piece of Pizza
$2.50
Cheeseburger
$4.50
Hamburger deluxe
$5.00
Spaghetti
$5.50
Drinks

Coffee
$1.25
Tea
$1.25
Soft Drinks - Coke, Sprite, Root Beer, etc.
$1.75
Read this dialogue
Waiter: Hello, Can I help you?
Kim: Yes, I'd like to have some lunch.
Waiter: Would you like a starter?
Kim: Yes, I'd like a bowl of chicken soup, please.
Waiter: And what would you like for a main course?
Kim: I'd like a grilled cheese sandwich.
Waiter: Would you like anything to drink?
Kim: Yes, I'd like a glass of Coke, please.
Waiter... After Kim has her lunch.: Can I bring you anything else?
Kim: No thank you. Just the bill.
Waiter: Certainly.
Kim:I don't have my glasses. How much is the lunch?
Waiter: That's $6.75.
Kim: Here you are. Thank you very much.
Waiter: You're welcome. Have a good day.
Kim: Thank you, the same to you.
Look at the menu above and practice ordering food and taking orders with a partner as in the dialogue.
Notice how the waiter asks: What would you like? and Kim responds: I'd like ...
"Would like" is the polite form used when asking and requesting.
Fill in the gaps. Click on the arrow to see the answer.
Waiter: Hello, Can I   you?
Kim: Yes,  
 to have some lunch.
Waiter:  
 a starter?
Kim: Yes, I'd like a bowl of chicken soup,  
.
Waiter: And what  
 for a main course?
Kim: I'd like a grilled cheese sandwich.
Waiter: Would you like  
 to drink?
Kim: Yes, I'd like a glass of Coke, please.
Waiter... After Kim has her lunch.: Can I bring you anything else?
Kim: No thank you. Just the  
.
Waiter: Certainly.
Kim:I don't have my glasses.  
 is the lunch?
Waiter: That's $6.75.
Kim:  
. Thank you very much.
Waiter: You're  
. Have a good day.
Kim: Thank you, the  
.
Watch this video with Ellen Quish to get more help with ordering food in restaurants in English. The video includes common vocabulary and phrases used in restaurants and on menus.

Waiter:"Hello, I'm Elizabeth and I will be your server." "Do you have any questions about the menu?" 
"Our specials are grilled cod from the market and Eggs Benedict."
"While you look at the menu may I bring your drink order?"
"What would you like to drink?"
"May I take your order?"
"May I have salt please?"
"May I have some more water, please?"
 "May I have the check please?" (Am. E) “May I have the bill please?” (Br. E)


No hay comentarios: